In Sanskrit, the coconut palm is known as 'kalpa vriksha' , meaning "the tree that gives all that is necessary for living".
"Coconut water is the very stuff of nature, biologically pure, full of natural sugars, salts and vitamins to ward off fatigue and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural", says Mortin Satin, Chief of the United Nation's Food & Agriculture Organization.
Coconut water contains more potassium (about 294 mg.) than most sports drinks (about 117 mg.) and most energy drinks.
Coconut water has less sodium (25mg.) than sports drinks (41 mg.) and energy drinks (200 mg.)
Coconut water has 5 mg. of NATURAL sugars whereas sports and energy drinks have 10-25 (sometimes more) mg. of ALTERED sugars.
Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118 mg. , compared to sports drinks at about 39 mg.
Clearly, a better choice for us, and our children, than GATORADE!!!
It is a natural isotonic beverage.
It has the same level of electrolytic balance
as we have in our blood.
In fact, during the Pacific War, both sides of the conflict regularly used coconut water to give emergency plasma transfusions to wounded soldiers.
Coconut water contains organic compounds that have health promoting properties that help:
Keep the body cool and at the proper temperature
Carry nutrients and oxygen to cells
Naturally replenish your body's fluids after exercising
Raise your metabolism
Boost your immune system
Detoxify and fight viruses (especially good for bladder infections)
Cleanse your digestive tract
Balance your PH level
Boost poor circulation
I have tried many brands of coconut water and have found GRACE (the photo above) to be the best tasting.
Make sure it is the one with NO SUGAR ADDED!!!
It is definitely WAY better when it's cold, too :)
You can find this brand at Bulk Barn, thankfully in the fridge.
Powerful is such a great word. Really, I love all of the words that are on there!!! Who would want to miss out on feeling these things?!!!
All of the words listed in the image above can help motivate you, plus:
* Because it makes clothing shopping more fun
* Because you want to look and feel incredible
* Because exercising can be fun
* Because it will give your skin a glow
* Because it is a good way to spend some time with your friends :)
* Because it will help you prevent the middle-aged spread (HA!)
* Because it reduces your blood pressure
* Because you don't want to let yourself go
* Because you don't want to squeeze into an airplane or roller coaster seat
* Because it strengthens your spirit.
GO, GO, GO!!!!!!
10 more to get you ready for the weekend!!!
Keep moving :)
* Because you want to live longer
* Because you want to get better at your game
* Because you want to catch someone's eye
* Because sweat is sexy (true story)
* Because exercisers earn more money
* Because you are more likely to eat better when you exercise
* Because you want to shave time off your running pace
* Because you want to breathe easier
* Because you want to see the scale drop (but inches off is more important)
* Because exercise improves your sex life
This may be my favourite 10:
* Because you are worth it
* Because being fit makes everything in life better
* Because you promised yourself that you would
* Because you deserve a better life
* Because it will help you drink more water
* Because you want to do real push-ups
* Because it reduces health care costs
* Because you will miss fewer days of work
* Because you want to create a new future for yourself
* Because it will help you like what you see in the mirror.
LOVE IT!!!! Be that person who gets going!!
* Because it keeps your mind sharp
* Because it helps you beat belly bloat
* Because it helps you sleep better at night
* Because it gives you energy
* Because you want to stay healthy as you age
* Because you want to look younger
* Because you want toned arms
* Because it improves your balance
* Because it burns off last night's dessert!
* Because it boosts your immune system
HERE THEY ARE!!!!
* Because it helps you de-stress
* Because it's cheaper than therapy
* Because you want a strong core
* Because you want to take care of yourself
* Because you take pride in your body
* Because it strengthens your legs
* Because it helps your clothes fit better
* Because you want to push yourself
* Because you are capable of more than you ever imagined
* Because moving your body feels good
Great reasons that will hopefully encourage you to get some movement into your day today!!
You are worth the time :)
Not too long ago I gave a talk at Carleton (what an awesome group it was!) about supplements. I made some suggestions (see an earlier post on this blog for that info) and then offered recipes and samples of nutrient dense things to try at home. The green smoothie was a hit! (although we ran low on liquid for the last, thicker batch!!!)
Here is the recipe for it, but feel free to experiment with different fruit (blueberries hide "green" flavour well). Spirulina is an incredible addition your daily life. It
is a complete protein source as it contains 8 essential amino acids, it is rich in vitamin A (beta carotene), B1, B2, B6, B12, E, and K and has an abundance of chlorophyll, phytonutrients, and enzymes - all things that help to boost energy and cellular health. Spirulina is a source of gamma linolenic acid [GLA], an EFA necessary for the health of the nervous system and easy to absorb iron. You can buy it in powder form (what you would add to smoothies, or soups, stews, etc....) or in a capsule if the taste is somewhat disagreeable! I choose pineapple on the rare occasion that I use juice because it contains BROMELAIN, an excellent digestive and anti-inflammatory enzyme.
1 CUP CHOPPED KALE
1 CUP UNSWEETENED VANILLA ALMOND MILK
½ CUP PINEAPPLE JUICE
1 CUP FROZEN TROPICAL FRUIT
½ - 1 TEASPOON SPIRULINA
Everything into a blender!!
It is that easy :)
If you are just starting it, getting back to it or continuing on with it - motivation is key. Hopefully you will find yourself nodding in agreement to some of the 100 reasons for exercise that will be posted. Here are numbers 21-30:
* Because it feels good!
* Because it makes you feel accomplished
* Because you spend most of your day on your butt
* Because swimsuit season is always coming
* Because strong is the new skinny
* Because dieting only works so much
* Because it strengthens your bones, too
* Because it helps you jiggle less
* Because it allows you to eat more food
* Because it's the best way to spend "me" time
Keep up the great work :)