I just finished browsing through my CanFitPro magazine and saw this information conveniently presented in a list for you!
The article that the list is in is by Maureen Hagan, an Education Director with CanFitPro. I was able to attend a seminar of hers awhile back....she knows her stuff!
Here is her list of 5 age-related benefits of resistance training:
1) Triggers a temporary boost in the hormone testosterone, a hormone necessary to protect bones and maintain muscle mass.
2) Supports a healthy heart muscle and helps lower the risk of all heart related diseases. Heart disease remains the number one disease that results in early death.
3) Reduces the stress response that is responsible for the dangerous weight gain around the belly and boosts levels of 'happy' endorphins and hormones - improving mood and general wellbeing.
4) Preserves lean muscle tissue which is the key to: managing metabolism and body weight, promoting tissue repair and serving as building blocks for the hormones that help regulate your biochemistry.
5) Helps to preserve immune health which weakens naturally with age.
I would add that the stronger you are, the more in control you are. There will be less chance of falling, slipping, twisting.....you hold yourself better all day. Every day.
Your stronger muscles will hold your spine, hips, knees, shoulders - all your joints - in place so there is far less chance of injury....acute or chronic.
Pretty remarkable stuff when you stop and think about all that is going on as you rock it out in our class or at your gym!!!
Keep going :)