Although this image really does say it all, I have added 5 reasons to pump up the jam with weights - just as a continual reminder of why we do what we do!
1. Increased Metabolic Rate – adding new muscle to your body increases it’s ability to burn calories even at rest. Muscle is WAY more metabolically active than fat and, as you can see, takes up far less room.
2. Increased Tone & Bone – Lifting weights will start to create new muscle definition - ready for you to show off any time!
Adding muscle stimulates the body to build new, stronger bones in order to support your new muscle mass. You will increase your bone density and be less likely to develop osteoporosis as you age. Strength training is your best defence against osteoporosis.
3. Better Posture – As you build muscle strength you are more able to hold your body in the upright, tall position it should be in. Eventually, your will feel your supporting muscles tighten as you stand, sit, walk, get up from a seated position, and exercise. You are able to fight gravity with strong muscles holding you up - no more leaning forward and slouching!
4. Increased Functional Strength – By increasing overall strength you will be able to perform the activities of daily living better. Laundry, grocery shopping, lifting the kids, dogs pulling on the leash, shovelling, lawn mowing......these all become so much easier.
5. Decreased Chance of Injury – Your body will instinctively know what muscles to fire when needed after you have taught them using proper form during strength training For example – you’re out for a walk in the winter. You slip on some ice and feel your knees buckle, but - you don't fall down!! This is because you have strengthened the muscles in your legs that provide stability in the knee. Compare that to someone with poor muscle development and they will likely have torn a ligament in the knee and done some more damage to themselves as they hit the ice.
So there you have it. And, of course, we can't forget the great feeling we get after working out with weights - strong and fabulous!!!!